Sunday 11 May 2014

Train Times | Live at Leeds

I caught the train to Leeds on my own the other weekend for the first time which was soo nerve racking but also so exciting! I’ve been on the train many times before and there’s always an automated voice that says where you’re coming up to and what stop you’re at so when boarding the train I wasn’t too worried that I’d miss my stop. However, I sat down, my suitcase besides me and I waited for the run down of places we would stop off at to come on over the speakers. I waited, and waited and the train set off. They didn’t say what stops we were approaching and what stops we were at.  I was terrified I’d miss Leeds!

It wasn’t until about half way round that the muffled voice of the conductor sounded telling everyone which stop we were at – which, thankfully, was before Leeds!

I made it and met my sister on the platform…


Live at Leeds

The rest of the weekend was less scary than the train as me and my sister set off to the festival Live at Leeds. It was amazing! The first band we saw were The Midnight Beast. I didn’t know what to expect from their performance, with seeing their TV show I thought it would just be three guys rapping on stage for an hour. But gee was I wrong. Yes it was three guys and yes they were rapping on stage, but they put on such a performance! There were dancing cats and dogs, confetti, costume changes and even ninjas; pretty impressive stuff especially for a 45 minute slot.

Then there were the Carnabells who had a 50s/60s rock’n’roll vibe going on. Chuck Berry, Elvis, that kinda thing could be heard through their riffs as a heavy influence; it even came out through their hair!

We found a couple of my sister’s uni mates and took off with them to see a band named Syd Arthur. They’ve apparently toured with the Pixies and are getting quite a fan base. They’re originally from Kent which wasn’t surprising to hear as they sound like one of these bands which have spawned from East London. They had a TOY, Horrors vibe going maybe with a bit of Charlie Boyer in there but they are definitely one to go and see.

Out of all the bands we saw there was one that stuck with me. The Scenes. I cannot explain how much talent this band had. How much charisma and confidence. They looked so young and yet they were amazing. I couldn’t take my eyes off the lead singer; he had the facial expressions of Bowie and the moves of Jagger. They are what you’d call a band. They have soo much potential… don’t ever miss a chance to see them!


To round off an awesome day we saw King Charles who was as dandy as ever and even got to chat with him before his gig. Keep an eye out for our interview with him!!

Live at Leeds is something special. It’s not just the bands that make it but all the different venues that you go to. Walking from one to another, catching a glimpse of a gig and then heading off, exploring a new section of the city. It introduces you to a tonne of new music and a tonne of new people. All in all it was such a great weekend. 

He was so excited for this interview
@AbiGillibrand
@_Woodnote

No comments:

Post a Comment